Newsgroup message of December 7, 1998

Subject: Re: walls


new words for different kinds of walls


Newsgroup: Klingon Usenet Forum
Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 12:55 AM


Actually, there are several words referring to "wall":

An interior wall (such as a wall separating your living room from your kitchen) is a tlhoy'.

An exterior wall (that is, a wall which separates the inside of a building from the outside) is a reD.

For the interior side of an exterior wall, it is quite common to use tlhoy', but the phrase pa' reD, literally "room's exterior wall" (pa' "room") is also heard, referring to the wall in a room which faces outside (as opposed to the other walls in the room whose other sides are still indoors).

The wall around a city is a yergho, which is apparently derived from yer "domain, holdings, territory" plus gho "circle."

A wall which divides a territory into parts (such as the Berlin Wall) is also called a tlhoy', even though neither side of it is the interior of a structure. On occasion, for clarity, such a wall is termed a chevwI' tlhoy' "separator wall" (chev "separate," -wI' "that which does [something]") or a pIn tlhoy', literally "boss wall," presumably dating back to a time when each subterritory had a specific person in charge.

The phrase pa' tlhoy' "room's interior wall" is also heard from time to time, but usually only when it is necessary to distinguish the "interior wall" sense of tlhoy' from the "separator wall" sense.

A tlhoy' "interior wall" need not be vertical. In a multistory structure, the stories are separated by what Klingon architects and builders call a tlhoy' SaS "horizontal wall" (tlhoy' "interior wall," SaS "be horizontal"). The side of this "wall" which is the bottom of the upper story is the rav "floor"; the side which is the top of the lower story is the rav'eq "ceiling" (based on rav "floor" plus 'eq, an element otherwise unknown (there is no evidence it is connected to 'eq "be early").

rav "floor" is also used for the floor of a room on ground level (or a basement floor, for that matter), even though there is no corresponding rav'eq and no tlhoy' SaS .

Similarly, though in general rav'eq "ceiling" refers to the ceiling of a room that has a room above it, it may also be used for the ceiling of a room on the top floor, even though there is no corresponding rav and no tlhoy' SaS. On occasion, though, the ceiling of the top floor is called pa' beb, literally "room's roof" (from pa' "room" plus beb "roof"). The term beb refers to the covering on top of a structure.

Hope this helps your story.

Other messages

go_back PreviousNext go_forward

See also

This article was reprinted in HolQeD, vol. 8 issue 1, March 1999.

External links

Category: Canon    Latest edit: 16 Feb 2022, by KlingonTeacher    Created: 06 Apr 2019 by MarcZankl
History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 - View wiki text
The Klingon Language Wiki is a private fan project to promote the Klingon language. See Copyright notice for details.